Menopause is a natural process in a woman's life when her periods (menstruation) eventually stop. It occurs in women aged 45 – 55 but you have to prepare yourself from your 30’s so that you sail smoothly during menopause
During menopause, a woman's ovaries stop making eggs and they produce less estrogen and progesterone. Periods occur less often and eventually stop. Sometimes this happens suddenly. But most of the time, periods slowly stop over time.Menopause is complete when you have not had a period for 1 year. This is called postmenopause.
Symptoms may last 5 or more years. Common symptoms of menopause include
Menstrual periods that occur less often and eventually stop ,Heart pounding or racing,
Hot flashes ,Night sweats,insomnia,Headaches,Mood swings including irritability, depression, and anxiety ,Urine leakage ,Vaginal dryness and infection,Joint aches and pains,fatigue
It can also increase risk of developing Osteoporosis,hormone related cancer and Heart disease in the long run and also causes weight gain.
Treatment for menopause depends on many things, including how bad your symptoms are, your overall health, and your preference. It may include lifestyle changes or hormone therapy.
Hormone therapy may help if you have severe hot flashes, night sweats, mood issues, or vaginal dryness. Hormone therapy is treatment with and, sometimes, .
Talk to your doctor about the benefits and risks of hormone therapy.
Several major studies have questioned the health benefits and risks of hormone therapy, including the risk of developing breast cancer, heart attacks, strokes, and blood clots.
· Certain plant foods have compounds with structure similar to hormone estrogen known as phytoestrogens.Richest sources are oilseeds and nuts mainly flaxseeds,sesame seeds,pistachios,almonds,walnuts.Next comes soyabean.They are also present in pulses,cabbage,apple,grapes,citrus fruits,strawberries ,oats,wheat bran plum,tomatoes,capsicum,cauliflower,carrot, broccoli.They protect body against hot flashes,osteoporosis,mood swings,breast cancer and heart disease.
· Avoid caffeine, alcohol, chocolates ,hot beverages,spicy food aggravate hot flashes.
· Eat soy foods in the form of tofu,soya milk,soya flour, soya nuts.
· Eat a low refined,processed and low fat diet.
· Eat plenty of vegetables and fruits (5- 7 servings),whole cereals and nuts
· Protein intake is very important .Add milk and milk products,dal,pulses ,soya in your daily diet.
· Get plenty of calcium and vitamin D in food or supplements.
· Multivitamin supplement containing Vitamin A,C,Vitamin D ,B complex,Vitamin E and Calcium and Magnesium are useful
· Do not try crash diet before or during menopause.
Exercise and relaxation techniques:
- Get at least 30 minutes of moderate-intensity physical activity on most days to protect against disease, osteoporosis and other symptoms related to menopause
- Practice slow, deep breathing when hot flashes start. Try taking six breaths a minute.
- Try yoga or meditation. It helps in reducing the number of hot flashes.
- Sleep on time and get adequate rest.